Enchiladas were a cheap staple in my pre-keto days. They were quick, easy to assemble, and super cheesy and delicious; all things that helped keep my week night mom life fairly simple.
In addition to the fact that tortillas are just out, enchilada sauce itself it usually made with sugar and/or starch of some kind, which only compounds the other enchilada issues. A tomato base is going to be a little carb-heavy by virtue of its tomatoey nature, so adding in all those other ingredients makes this perennial favorite a no-go.
So, I decided to concoct my own sauce, and use it in conjunction with some shredded, seasoned chicken, cheese, and egg thin wraps to re-create my old week night standby (as shown above). One batch makes enough for a fairly large pan of your preferred style of enchiladas, but you could easily make it in bulk and refrigerate leftovers in a mason jar until you’re ready for more.Print
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Approx 1 1/2 c sauce (12 fl oz)
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 1 small can (8 fl oz/227 g) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/237 ml) beef broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Heat over medium until it comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Use immediately, as desired, or store in an airtight jar in the fridge until ready to use. The acid from the tomato and the salt content should help it keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
Per every 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/30 ml): 13 cal, 1.3 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 2.1 g carbs, 0.6 g fiber, 1.4 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/30 ml)
Keywords: Enchilada sauce, Tex-mex, enchiladas, easy, week night, quick, kid-friendly
Wait, where’s the chicken cheese and egg wrap recipe??
Mandy Pagano says
The recipe is for enchilada sauce. You have to decide how you’d like to use that sauce.