With zucchini standing in for apple, this pie is a special holiday treat.
- One recipe Salted Caramel Pie Crust, separated as directed for lattice
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) zucchini, peeled, seeded, and sliced into apple shaped chunks (weighed after prepping)
- 1/2 c (approx. 4 oz/ 113 g) granulated Swerve (or erythritol)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp apple extract (optional, but boosts apple flavor)
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/ 15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- generous pinch salt
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/ 57 g) unsalted butter
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crust and par-bake bottom for 7 minutes. Roll out remaining dough for lattice. Set par-baked pie crust and rolled out dough for lattice aside.
- Prepare filling by melting butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add prepped zucchini, Swerve, spices, lemon juice, cream of tartar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and syrupy looking and zucchini has begin to soften.
- Pull off the heat and stir in apple extract. Fill par-baked pie crust.
- Prepare egg wash.
- Using a sharp pizza cutter, cut 8-10, 1″ long strips. Lattice pie top and brush with egg wash. Cover the pie edges with a pie shield and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and lattice work is golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand to cool on a baking rack.
- Serve as desired.
Weigh your zucchini after you’ve peeled and seeded it. It took me two-and-a-half very large zucchini to yield a pound of the prepped insides, so that’s a good ballpark place to start.
Per 1 slice pie: 217 cal, 7.5 g protein, 18.1 g fat, 20.1 g carbs, 2.8 g fiber, 13.4 g sugar alcohol, 3.9 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/10 of pie
Keywords: Pie, apple pie, salted caramel, fathead crust, holiday