Ok, so maybe it’s not famous-famous, but my taco seasoning blend is pretty famous amongst my family and friends. It’s also super easy. I regularly use this to season all kinds of meat for tacos, and we assemble a little taco bar wherein the fam can make their own bowls or salads.
My favorite way to eat taco meat is with all the fixings, over shredded coleslaw vegetables (unlike lettuce that wilts and weeps when it’s topped with hot meats, coleslaw stays crunchy), and with a hearty drizzle of my ranch dip. When we’re extra hungry, or feeding a crowd, I serve this with Rotel Rice as a side or a mix-in. This is a perennial weeknight favorite (Tuesday night, because… you know) because it’s easy, and its tacos, y’all. Who doesn’t like tacos?
Notes: This recipe makes enough to season two pounds of meat, but it’s very easy to double (or quadruple) to make larger batches or to store until you’re ready to use it. I tend to make it on the fly, but have been known to make larger batches of the seasoning to take on family camp outs.Print
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
To make taco meat:
- In a large skillet, brown 2 lb fatty ground beef (75/25) over medium-high heat, breaking it up as you go.
- When the beef is cooked through, add the taco seasoning mix to the skillet and stir well to coat the beef.
- Add about 1/2 c water to the skillet, then turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it’s as dry as you like it. If you prefer your meat a little saucy, this will be about 5 minutes. If you like it less so, it will be closer to 10.
- Serve hot with all your favorite taco fixings!
Per serving (1/8 recipe) taco seasoning mixture: 5.6 cal, 0.3 g protein, 0.3 g fat, 1 carb, 0.5 g fiber, 0.5 g NET carbs
Per serving of seasoned beef (1/4 lb raw weight plus 1/8 recipe taco seasoning): 320 cal, 30.1 g protein, 20.9 g fat, 1 g carbs, 0.5 g fiber, 0.5 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
Keywords: Tacos, taco seasoning, taco mix, taco meat, taco salad, Tex-mex