Valentine’s Day is coming up, and this year, you can crown your special sweetheart dinner by serving up a tender and delicious marinated flank steak from US Wellness Meats, with chimichurri sauce.
Yes, I said flank steak. Yes, I also said tender.
The secret to making this usually tougher cut a melt-in-your-mouth keto steak experience is in the super-acidic marinade, combined with a long marinating time and the fantabulous sous vide cooking method. I promise you guys, I have never had a cut of beef fail to please from the sous vide, and this dish is no exception. In fact, my husband liked this low carb meal so much, he was disappointed when we split this pound of meat with the kids.
Next time, it’s just for us, dear.
Notes: I listed macros in the recipe for 2 and for 3 servings. It is a good deal of beef, so on a normal evening, I wouldn’t eat half a pound in one meal. On a special occasion, though? Sure thing.
If you wanted to make more than one steak, or a much larger cut, feel free to use the same amount of marinade (it makes a good deal) and increase the amount of chimichurri sauce, as desired.
This recipe calls for volume measurements in two places in the sauce. That’s because this is how this recipe works best!
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) avocado oil
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lime
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar-free liquid smoke
- zest of one lime
- zest of one orange
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) flank steak
- salt and pepper, to taste to season the steak before sous vide
- stable fat of choice, to sear
- 1/2 c fresh parsley
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro
- 1 oz (28 g) onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (1/2 fl oz/ 15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- juice from half a lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- heavy pinch crushed red pepper flakes
To make the marinade:
- Stir together the marinade ingredients.
- Place the steak in a large zip top bag then pour in the marinade.
- Close the bag and refrigerate 24-hours, turning about halfway through.
Make the chimichurri sauce:
- 1-2 hours before serving the steak, add all chimichurri ingredients to a food processor and run until smooth.
- Let stand, covered, to let the flavors mingle. Alternatively, you may make this ahead and refrigerate a few hours prior to serving.
To cook the steak:
- Prepare your sous vide water bath by pre-heating the water to 135 degrees F.
- Remove the flank steak from the marinade and gently pat dry. Discard the marinade.
- Season both sides of your flank steak with salt and pepper, as desired, then let it stand at room temperature 30 minutes while the water bath is heating.
- Vacuum seal the steak completely in a vacuum bag. Alternatively, use the displacement method in a zip top bag (see step 4 here).
- When the water is ready, cook the sealed steak by submerging completely in the water bath for 2 hours.
- At the end of 2 hours, remove the sealed steak from the water bath. Carefully open the bag and pat each side dry.
- Heat bacon drippings, lard, or avocado oil over high heat in a skillet until it’s almost smoking.
- Carefully sear each side of the flank steak in the hot fat, 10-20 seconds per side, then remove to rest on a plate for 10 minutes.
- Once the steak has rested, slice it across the grain, then serve each portion with a heavy drizzle of chimichurri sauce.
Per 1/2 recipe: 461 cal, 49.7 g protein, 26.1 g fat, 4.9 g carbs, 1.2 g fiber, 3.7 g NET carbs
Per 1/3 recipe: 307 cal, 33.2 g protein, 17.4 g fat, 3.2 g carbs, 0.7 g fiber, 2.5 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/3-1/2 recipe
Keywords: sous vide, flank steak, chimichurri, marinade