Feel free to swap out the cheese with your favorite, or to go halvsies with the cheddar. I have successfully changed this dish to include smoked cheddar, smoked gouda, and pepper jack cheeses in various combinations. Use what you like and have fun!
- 4 tbsp (2 oz/ 57 g) salted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 oz (43 g) celery, sliced width-wise to about 1/8″ thickness
- 1.5 oz (43 g) yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14.5 oz/411 g) cans French-style green beans, drained and rinsed (29 oz/ 822 g total)
- 2 tbsp pimento, diced
- 1/3 cup (2.67 fl oz/ 79 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (2.67 fl oz/ 79 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
- 6 oz (170 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Add garlic to pan and sweat for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add onion and celery to pan and saute until the onion just begins to become translucent. Remove from heat.
- In a medium casserole dish, mix the drained green beans, pimentos, and onion mixture (including the butter).
- In a small bowl, mix together the heavy cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings. Pour over the vegetable mixture and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the bacon and cheese to combine and smooth out the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand five minutes before serving.
Per 1/6 of the casserole: 363.3 cal, 10.2 g protein, 32.8 g fat, 7.4 g carbs, 2.7 g fiber, 4.7 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/6 casserole