This one goes out to all my keto peeps that, for one reason or another, don’t do almond or coconut flour. Holiday season will be rapidly upon us, and while stuffing is a perpetual holiday table favorite, keto stuffing (like my Southern Cracklin’ Cornbread Dressing) tends to rely heavily on almond and/or coconut flour to get the “bread” part of the job done.
So, what is the ketonian with almond or coconut allergies supposed to do?
Y’all can enjoy this delicious hash instead!
The majority of the time invested in this recipe is in prep work, so as your bird is a-cooking, get everything cubed and diced, and you’ll be ready to quickly whip it up in a skillet as the meat is resting. With hints of apple, pumpkin, sage, and maple, Harvest Hash tastes like Autumn should.
Notes: For those with full-blown tree nut allergies, this dish will still be delicious without the pecans or walnuts, so feel free to leave them out!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Holiday, Dressing
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
As shown, this is finished with pecans, but it’s equally as delicious with walnuts, so feel free to swap it out, as desired! Those with blanket tree nut allergies may leave them out entirely.
- 1/2 lb (8 oz/ 227 g) jicama, peeled and cubed into about 1/4″ pieces (weighed after peeling)
- 1 tsp apple extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 lb (8 oz/ 227 g) fresh pumpkin, cut from the rind and cubed into about 1/4″ pieces (weighed after peeling)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 oz (57 g) red bell pepper, diced
- 1 oz (28 g) onion, diced
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) ground sausage
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz/ 14 g) butter, salted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- approx. 10 turns fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/ 118 ml) water
- 4 oz roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, your choice (nuts may be left out entirely for those with allergies)
- In a small bowl, combine the cubed jicama, apple extract, lemon juice, and ground cinnamon. Set aside for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, begin browning the ground sausage over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When the sausage is about half-cooked, add the butter, celery, red bell pepper, onion, sea salt, sage, and black pepper and continue to cook over medium heat stirring frequently, until the sausage is almost cooked through.
- Add the jicama, pumpkin, and maple extract to the skillet and stir well.
- Add the water to the skillet, put the lid on, and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Cook over medium-low for 10 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork-tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts (if using).
- Serve hot.
Per 1/8 recipe: 321 cal, 13 g protein, 22.7 g fat, 7.6 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 4.6 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
Keywords: harvest hash, nut-free stuffing, nut-free dressing, holiday, Thanksgiving, Christmas
[…] Source link […]
[…] Source link […]