This is probably my favorite kind of side dish. Anything I can dump into a container and let stand in the fridge until I’m ready to eat it, is ideal. The best part of a refrigerator salad is that it gets better the longer it chills and the more time the flavors have a chance to come together and percolate. Make this extra easy by using all pre-cut/sliced veggies, and the only actual work you have to do is the measuring, the mixing, and the eating.
This is a great side dish to take to a potluck or other gathering, as it keeps for a while and can be made ahead of time. It also makes a lot. I divided this into 8 large servings, but honestly, you could easily get more mileage out of this recipe and feed a crowd by divvying it up into smaller portions.
Notes: Make this part of a vegetarian meal by subbing out the crispy bacon for roasted, salted pepitas.Print
- 1 (1 lb/ 434 g) bag dry coleslaw mixed veggies (preshredded cabbages, etc)
- 4 c (approx 10 oz/ 283 g) broccoli florets
- 2.5 oz (71 g) red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 oz (57 g) red onion, diced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (OR use 1/4-1/3 c roasted and salted pepitas for a vegetarian option)
- 1 c (8 fl oz/ 237 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 4 tbsp. (2 fl oz/ 89 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2-4 drops liquid stevia, to taste
- In a very large bowl, mix all the vegetables and crumbled bacon (or pepitas) together.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the mayo, mustard, vinegar, and all seasonings. Taste and add liquid stevia, as desired.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a large covered dish and refrigerate until well chilled and flavors have melded, 4 hours, minimum and better if left overnight.
- Makes 8 very large servings.
Per 1/8 recipe: 278.7 cal, 4.6 g protein, 25.3 g fat, 7.3 g carbs, 2.6 g fiber, 4.7 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
Keywords: refrigerator salad, coleslaw, vegetables, salads