This beverage, my friends, is quite the holiday delight. It’s hot and steamy, spicy and creamy, and spiked with a good shot of your favorite liquor. Hot Buttered Booze is a low-carb and keto friendly way for the exhausted persons (especially parents!) to settle in on Christmas night- after all the presents have been opened, the feast has been eaten, and any littles around have gone to bed- and unwind from all the festivities.
Notes: This is essentially a fatty alcoholic beverage, similar to fatty blended coffee but with booze. If you’re dairy-free, you can swap the butter out for ghee, coconut oil, or mct oil. The flavor may change a bit, but it will still be delightful.
As for the booze part of this recipe, I have made this with bourbon and rum, and it was wonderful both ways. This is more of a personal taste thing, and normally I’d say go bourbon all the way because that’s my sipping alcohol of preference. However, when I made this drink with a good quality rum (Appleton Estates 12 year rare cask rum), the flavor was just out of this world. This particular rum had a good bit in the way of vanilla and banana notes to it, and it complemented the buttery spices just beautifully.
If you do choose a rum, my only caution is to get a straight up white, amber, or dark rum, and avoid all spiced or flavored rums. The latter two categories are pretty universally backsweetened, which means they add sugar to it after fermentation. That’s obviously a no. Because they actually have regulations against adding sugar to their rum, that which is distilled and bottled at one of the various distilleries in both Barbados and Jamaica has no added sugar, so that’s a helpful tidbit to know when you’re shopping.Print
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/57 g) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsp brown granulated sweetener (I used Swerve Brown)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 heavy pinches ground cloves
- 2 heavy pinches ground cardamom
- (Optional) 3 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) boiling water
- 2 shots (3 fl oz/89 ml) good quality bourbon or rum (I recommend Appleton Estates 12 year rare cask rum)
- In a pourable/spouted mixing bowl, whisk or blend (an immersion blender is fine) together the butter, sweetener, spices, and liquid stevia (if using).
- Briefly whisk or blend in the alcohol. This doesn’t have to be super precise.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl and whisk vigorously until blended, or blend briefly with an immersion blender. It should be well combined and a little foamy.
- Divide amongst mugs and garnish as desired. Garnish suggestions are cinnamon sticks (traditional garnish) or a dollop of whipped heavy cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon (my preference).
- Relax and enjoy!
Per serving (1/2 recipe): 302 cal, 0.3 g protein, 23.1 g fat, 12.4 g carbs, 0.2 g fiber, 12 g sugar alcohol, 0.2 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
Keywords: Hot buttered rum, hot buttered bourbon, Christmas, holiday, new year