- 1/2 stick (2 oz/57 g) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsp brown granulated sweetener (I used Swerve Brown)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 heavy pinches ground cloves
- 2 heavy pinches ground cardamom
- (Optional) 3 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) boiling water
- 2 shots (3 fl oz/89 ml) good quality bourbon or rum (I recommend Appleton Estates 12 year rare cask rum)
- In a pourable/spouted mixing bowl, whisk or blend (an immersion blender is fine) together the butter, sweetener, spices, and liquid stevia (if using).
- Briefly whisk or blend in the alcohol. This doesn’t have to be super precise.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl and whisk vigorously until blended, or blend briefly with an immersion blender. It should be well combined and a little foamy.
- Divide amongst mugs and garnish as desired. Garnish suggestions are cinnamon sticks (traditional garnish) or a dollop of whipped heavy cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon (my preference).
- Relax and enjoy!
Per serving (1/2 recipe): 302 cal, 0.3 g protein, 23.1 g fat, 12.4 g carbs, 0.2 g fiber, 12 g sugar alcohol, 0.2 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
Keywords: Hot buttered rum, hot buttered bourbon, Christmas, holiday, new year